Thursday, May 26, 2011

Future plans

I've found this class has come at a pretty perfect time at my life because I'm in the middle of deciding what I want to do with my future. I don't really feel that much pressure, but I don't like the idea of spending too much time of my life without making what I would call forward momentum. I'm applying for an Americorps job, but there's still the possibility I won't get it. I'm kind of tempted to just drop everything and tried to find whatever job I can in journalism and use it as a vehicle to travel to a new city and try to reestablish myself as a writer. Not that Kalamazoo is exactly stagnant, but I have been here for a while and might need a change of scenery. I've always loved the Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, and especially admire how Thompson left everything and moved to Puerto Rico before he even had a confirmed job with the paper. He eventually became a sport's editor for them and was able to become fully engrained with how running a small paper works. Not that it would be that easy for me, but I'm very tempted to take a big leap like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment